Friday, April 24, 2015

I Live in a Doghouse earns the Literary Classics Seal of Approval



I Live in a Doghouse, by Beverly Stowe McClure, is the story of Nick, his dog who is named Accident, and the blended family with whom they live. Things were mostly fine when it was just Nick, his mom and their four-legged friend.  But now he has to share a home with a bossy step-sister, Grace (who is allergic to Accident), a step-dad, and a new baby sister. To make matters worse, he's always being asked to babysit. When Nick wants to escape, mostly to avoid babysitting, he hides out in the doghouse with Accident, who has been banished from the house due to Grace's allergies.

On the surface this book is a light-hearted read with lots fun and comical events taking place.  The overall story provides greater depth with interesting and well developed characters, and a back-story which gives this book true substance.  As the book progresses, it takes on a more serious tone, while maintaining a whimsical vein.  I Live in a Doghouse is an excellent book that will appeal to young readers, especially those with a blended family experience.  This book comes highly recommended for school and home libraries.

LITERARY CLASSICS Book Awards & Reviews International Book Awards • Top Honors Youth Book Awards • Seal of Approval http://www.clcawards.org

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the wonderful review. I'm so happy the true meaning of the story shows through, along with the humor that I believe helps young people deal with the rougher parts of life. I'll be sharing this.
    Thanks again for your time and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations. I have this book and I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your wonderful review, Suzanne. I'm happy you enjoyed my story.

      Delete